POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay Google Trends : Re: PovRay Google Trends Server Time
1 Jul 2024 06:56:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay Google Trends
From: David Buck
Date: 13 Nov 2016 07:06:33
Message: <58285749$1@news.povray.org>
On 2016-11-13 3:37 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 13-11-2016 9:34, Stephen wrote:

>>> Absolutely! Although, me, I am not very good at math, so I mix POV-Ray
>>> with a bit of fingerpainting.
>>>
>>> [blush][small print] I like fingerpainting [/small print][/blush]
>>>

>> I'm too lazy to do the maths.
>> Splash a bit here smudge a bit there. That's the way to do it!
>>
>> Does the kraken awake?
>> Because I think LanuHum is right.
>> <aside> I wonder what the average age of Pov-Ray users is. </aside>
>
> Age? well above average I am sure. So, what to do about it?

What POVRay needs is its own user interface tailored to POVRay. Other
user interfaces tend to break the world into triangles which don't
translate well to POVRay.  The POVRay text files are cumbersome because
they are non-visual and they force you to constantly switch from text
mode to render mode.

I would like to see a user interface that supports all of the POVRay
primitives.  It would allow you select components of the scene with
parameters that are alterable.  You don't necessarily need to see the
text but rather a graphical representation of the text.  It would allow
you to change any parameters and would re-render the scene automatically
with those changes.  The rendering might be incremental - it renders in
low resolution first and refines the image as you wait or renders
without textures then with textures or it renders without reflections
and later adds reflections - just some ideas.

I often find myself asking "What happens if I change this parameter?"
To answer that I need to keep editing and rendering until I understand
it.  I'd rather select the parameter in a UI and use the mouse to change
the value and see in real time what it does to the image.

Thoughts?
David Buck